Signed in as:
filler@godaddy.com
Signed in as:
filler@godaddy.com
Not much is known about the history of the Village Cross, the only references we have is a photograph taken around the 1920s showing what was referred to as the base of the cross at the junction of Staunton Lane and Sleep Lane and various newspaper articles from around the same time. What we see from the photograph is a raised outcrop of grass with a single stone showing. Unfortunately we don't know what the original cross looked like and why it ended up like this. Interestingly, the newspaper articles refer to the remaining "stones" suggesting there to be more than one.
In 1923, the Parish Council agreed to remove the remaining stones from the junction.
The Somerset Archaeological Society suggest that due to their importance, the stones be re-located locally and suggests some possible locations.
This article confirms the stones had been removed to an agreed place. It is not clear where this was.
We believe the above illustration of the village dates from the 1940s and plots the "Original Site of Cross" at the junction of Staunton Lane and Sleep Lane and opposite the Black Lion, the "Base of Cross". The site of which is now the Millennium Garden.
There you may be able to find what remains of the Whitchurch Village Cross.